Smith River Beadwork and Supply

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Powwow Trail


Well, the powwow trail has begun (as of the weekend of June 11-13). I have gone to three powwows so far. Alvin Littlehead Memorial Powwow. It was really nice, it was held at the Muckleshoot Powwow grounds. The weather was great. I didn't do well in sales, but I had a nice time. I saw a lot of family (it was almost a reunion) and friends but our main reason for going was to support the family of Alvin Littlehead. My husband won some beautiful art in the raffle.
The next powwow we went to was The Delta Park Powwow and Encampment in Portland, Oregon (home). I wasn't going to do this powwow at first, sales are usually low, but at "the last minute" we decided to set up. My friend Jolene gave me one of the prettiest (maybe THE prettiest) beads I have ever seen. They are Cheyenne Pink (Crow Pink, Czech Rose, Dusty Rose) size 11/0 cut beads with AB finish. They cost her a pretty penny and she made a heart shaped set with them. I teased her all weekend "is my set done yet?" Then she gave me a hank of my own.
The last Powwow was the Muckleshoot Veterans Powwow. They held it at the White River Amphitheater this year. I was excited because I had heard that this venue would be great. It wasn't good for sales. Some people came up the last day and said that they didn't even know I was there until Sunday. I didn't get to see any of the dancers, I couldn't hear the drums. I will go to this powwow next year, but will hope for the original powwow grounds. I did sell all of my green rhinestones at this powwow, so it was nice to sell out on the first showing of them. I saw some really pretty beadwork at the powwow too. I'll update again, hopefully before the next powwow.

No comments:

Post a Comment