Smith River Beadwork and Supply

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

I Resolve



I resolve to bead every day, even if it is for only 15 minutes. What happens when you commit to at least 15 minutes of beading each day? You end up doing it for more than 15 minutes. This is what I am hoping. I will be blogging about my beading projects this year with pictures as well as sharing my tips and tricks to how I choose my designs, colors and techniques. My first project for this year was to finish a bolo tie I started for my uncle last year. I tried to finish it for his birthday in July, but didn't finish, then I never picked it up again. It was a bolo tie to match his favorite belt buckle that I fixed for him. At the New Years Powwow he was wearing the belt buckle, and I had the unfinished beadwork with me. I showed him how it matches and it made me feel guilty, so it was the first project I worked on in my effort to bead every day. Here is the bolo with the edging in progress.Add Image
The Bolo Tie has porcupine quills, and is done in size 13/0 charlotte cut beads. The colors are light red, dark red, black, lime green, turquoise green, turquoise blue, capri blue, and dark blue. Of course, these colors are called something different depending on the bead store you go through. I beaded this on canvas, which was two layers heat-and-bonded together. I backed it with white buckskin (my personal favorite). I don't like using canvas to bead. The little grooves where the fabric is woven gets tricky to work with. Canvas is thick, durable and recommended by some beaders for a fully beaded traditional women's yoke. I personally don't like using canvas for small items. *Your Next Muse*

No comments:

Post a Comment