Smith River Beadwork and Supply

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Beaded earrings

So, I put down the Hello Kitty earrings for a bit. I didn't finish them in time, so I've started on another item that was an order. They are "hot pink" earrings a customer requested. I used a double point rivoli stone with the color called Ultra Pink AB. The Rivolis come in a lot of colors, the ones I purchased are pink, purple, light blue, green and orange.The pictures show the backing I used, it is upholstery leather. I couldn't find my Pellon, so I used this. It actually works better for earrings with this stone than the Pellon does. The front of it is smooth and the back has a netting on it that seems to adhere to the stone better. The stones are pointed in back and front, so you need to cut an "x" on the back so the point will have somewhere to go and so the stone will be flush with the material. I just fold the material in half and cut a little "x" into it. I used E6000 to attach the stone to the material. I then clamped it (with a chip clip) and waited for about an hour before I started to bead them. You don't have to wait an hour, but the packaging asks that you give it 24-48 hours to "cure". I beaded the earrings with pearl white size 9/0 3-cut beads. I used japanese 3-cut beads for accent in turquoise blue, lime green and yellow. They are edged with hot pink rhinestones with AB finish.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great trick. After trying so many different glues and rhinestones and backing to make it stick. I will try this on my next project. Thank you so much for the wonderful tip! : )

    ReplyDelete